Lizzie Kasparek is a Registered Dietitian, Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and is the Sports Dietitian for the Sanford Sports Science Institute in Sioux Falls, SD. Lizzie enjoys helping athletes of all ages and abilities take a real foods approach to improving overall health and achieve optimal athletic performance.
Some reasons why a runner might want to consult with a sports dietitian include:
1. You want to improve your running performance.
2. You want to gain muscular strength and power.
3. You want to increase stamina and endurance, or have more energy during the day and during training.
4. You want ideas for food to eat before, during, and after exercise or a race.
5. You want to choose the best fluids to drink before, during, and after exercise or a race.
6. You want to make better food choices and need ideas for buying and preparing food.
7. You have food allergies or intolerances and want to know the best choices for your condition and how food and medicine interact.
8. You want help meeting your body composition goals to gain or lose weight.
9. You experience gastrointestinal problems that keep you from performing at your best and you seek solutions.
10. You are an athlete who has a medical condition, e.g., diabetes, cardiovascular risk factors, compromised bone health, abnormal iron status, food allergies, or gastrointestinal problems such as gluten sensitivity
*Modified from the Eat Right "Top 10 Reasons to Consult With a Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD)"